[Council] ping

Joe Hildebrand JHildebrand at jabber.com
Fri Jun 13 12:08:07 CDT 2003

Sorry.  A couple more quick nits.

"note that any non-ASCII characters MUST be encoded as UTF-8" but should
also probabl say, "with all appropriate XML escaping" or something.  And
perhaps an "obviously" on the front. :)

In Example 6, it should be easier to tell that this is a digest of 3EE948B0
+ Calli0pe (which I assume it is without doing the math).

SHOULD the server return the bad query on error?  MAY it?  I think it SHOULD
NOT, since the client already knows what it sent.  (Example 8,9,10)

In security considerations:
"Client implementations SHOULD NOT implement the plaintext mechanism, MUST
NOT make it the default mechanism, and MUST warn the user that the plaintext
mechanism is insecure."
Unless the channel is encrypted (using SSL or TLS) and the server is
authenticated with a certificate that is signed by a trusted CA.