[Council] VOTE: JEP-0013 (Flexible Offline Message Retrieval)

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Sun Jun 29 22:47:11 CDT 2003

> The Last Call on JEP-0013 (Flexible Offline Message Retrieval) has
> ended. This is a standards-track proposal, therefore +1 means you
> approve of advancing this JEP to a status of Draft.

+1.

Something that only just occured to me (which I should have thought of
earlier), is how does this protocol interact with the traditional
offline message retrieval method? ie, what happens if the user pulls
their messages using the protocol documented in this JEP, but doesn't
remove the messages, before sending presence? Do these messages get
re-delivered?

I'll probably implement it so that when first presence is received, any
"unseen" messages (ie messages that haven't been listed in a message
header list returned on request by the server) will be delivered. This
action will be configurable by the server administrator.

The semantics of this are almost certainly outside the scope of this JEP
however, so this hasn't affected my vote - just something to be aware
of.

Rob.