[jadmin] Capacity of Jabber Server 1.4 on Red Hat Linux

Todd Bradley TBradley at jabber.com
Thu Mar 1 12:22:59 CST 2001

Morris Wong wrote:
> Anyone has done a capacity estimation on Jabber Server 1.4?
> I want to know how much concurrent user can be supported
> by a Jabber Server 1.4 on a Linux machine. Is it only limited
> by the number of TCP socket that can be estimated?
>
> A benchmark will be helpful. But a reasonable estimation is
> enough in my case. Please advice. Thank you!

That's an excellent and frequently asked question.
The short answer is that nobody knows for sure.
I've heard estimates anywhere from 1000 users to
100,000 users simultaneously.  My own belief is
that a typical P3 750 type PC is going to max out
at around 2000 to 4000 concurrent users.

I'd love to hear how many concurrent users other
people have on their 1.4 servers.  At Jabber.com,
we typically have a few hundred people online at
any given time, and as far as I know, we're the
largest Jabber server in the world.  If anyone out
there has more than 700 concurrent users, then
please speak up!

Todd.
ps.  Our server info, updated every 5 minutes
or so, is here: http://support.jabber.com/status.html