[jadmin] Problem building server (FreeBSD 3.4)

Jeffrey Yeo jwyeo2 at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 3 00:35:12 CST 2001

Installed Pth from jabberd/pth-1.3.7 successfully.

Now, jabber-1.4 ./configure gives:

Running Jabber Configure

Getting pth settings...         Done.
Setting Build Parameters...     Done.
Generating Settings Script...   Done.

You may now type 'make' to build your new Jabber system.

That looks better, but jabber-1.4 make still ends up the
same way (although the buildup is different):

Making all in pthsock
gcc -g -Wall -fPIC -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include
-I../jabberd/ -shared -o pthsoc
k_client.so client.o -L/usr/local/lib -lpth
Making all in xdb_file
gcc -g -Wall -fPIC -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include
-I../jabberd -shared -o xdb_fil
e.so xdb_file.o -L/usr/local/lib -lpth
Making all in dnsrv
gcc -g -Wall -fPIC -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include
-I../jabberd/ -shared -o dnsrv.
so dnsrv.o srv_resolv.o
Making all in jsm
Making all in modules
gcc -g -Wall -fPIC -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include
-I../jabberd/ -shared -o jsm.s
o deliver.o  jsm.o  modules.o  offline.o  server.o
authreg.o  sessions.o  users
.o  util.o modules/mod_admin.o  modules/mod_agents.o
modules/mod_browse.o  modu
les/mod_announce.o  modules/mod_auth_plain.o
modules/mod_auth_digest.o  modules
/mod_auth_0k.o  modules/mod_echo.o  modules/mod_filter.o
modules/mod_presence.o  modules/mod_xml.o
modules/mod_roster.o  modules/mod_tim
e.o  modules/mod_vcard.o  modules/mod_version.o
modules/mod_register.o  modules
/mod_log.o  modules/mod_last.o  modules/mod_offline.o
-L/usr/local/lib -lpth
Making all in dialback
gcc -g -Wall -fPIC -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include
-I../jabberd -shared -o dialbac
k.so dialback.o dialback_in.o dialback_out.o
-L/usr/local/lib -lpth
Making all in jabberd
"Makefile", line 6: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 8: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 10: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 11: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 13: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Here is the first few lines of the Makefile from the
jabberd directory:

# Ok this is taken from an automaked file and tweaked out
include ../platform-settings

ifeq ($(ISSINGLE),1)
ifeq ($(ISSTATIC),1)

jabberd_HEADERS=jabberd.h single.h

jabberd_OBJECTS = \
        config.o \
        mio.o \
        mio_raw.o \
        mio_xml.o \
    mio_ssl.o \
        deliver.o \
        heartbeat.o \
        jabberd.o \
---- snip ----

Note that the lines with the errors are the ifeq/else/endif
statements. Maybe my shell doesn't like these?

--- Ron Smits <rons at ronsmits.com> wrote:
> You should install the Gnu Portable thread library, the
> readme from
> jabber tells you where to find it

Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds,
bursting with its own corrections. You can keep
your sterile truth for yourself.
   - Vilfredo Pareto

Do You Yahoo!?