[jadmin] DNS problems

The Laptop Toting Assailant plarceny at semtex.iterror.org
Sun Mar 4 16:28:27 CST 2001

Yea, this is a DNS issue. The hostname given to you by xs4all.nl
is what's called a PTR record. Lets say you have an IP 172.16.0.1 and I
want to find out what the "hostname" is of that ip address. (don't bother
with that address. it's RFC1918) you can use the "NSLOOKUP" command (under
unix) to find the reverse or PTR record for a given address. The other
hostnames you have configured (icq.ronsmits.org, msn.ronsmits.org etc) are
forward or A records. And are not dependant on the PTR record...

See your ISP has "delegated" control over the network 172.16/12 allowing
them to set any PTR record they wish. (In this case eagle.xs4all.nl) What
you may wish to do, is request they change the "eagle.xs4all.nl" hostname
to the one your system reports it is to the jabber server. Or possibly
change your jabber server's hostname to eagle.xs4all.nl.

Hope this helps!

		-PL