[jadmin] "automatically managed and configured groups"

Schuyler Heath sheath at jabber.org
Wed Mar 7 14:15:29 CST 2001

Hello,

This feature is implemented in mod_groups.  I just posted a document about it here:
http://docs.jabber.org/server/html/groups.html

You should read over the doc first, but basicly you would set up your config like so:

<groups>
  <group id="ccare">

    <info>

      <name>CCare dep.</name>
      <edit>
        <user>grpadmin</user>
      </edit>

      <write>
        <user>grpadmin</user>
      </write>

      <require/>
      <static/>

    </info>

  </group>

  <group id="blah">
  </group>

</groups>

I <require/> flag means all users will have this group in there roster. The group
admin could then add or remove users by sending browse sets.  I don't believe any
clients support browse editing yet (possibly WinJab?), but the XML would look like:

<iq type="set" to="host/groups/ccare" from="grpadmin at host">
  <query xmlns="jabber:iq:browse">
    <user jid="newuser at host" name="New User"/>
  </query>
</iq>

mod_groups builds group info off of data pulled directly from XDB and that found in the config.
So you could change you're current XDB script to support groups, as you say it would be simpler
then your current method.  But it might be even simpler to write a basic client that does group
editing like above *shrug*.

Also, if you're going to use mod_groups you need the latest copy from CVS.  I added some important
features since 1.4 and fixed a few bugs.  Be advised, mod_groups hasn't been heavily tested, it's
sill somewhat experimental.

Schuyler