[jadmin] alert messages after starting up jabber server

John Hebert john at vedalabs.com
Fri Mar 16 10:05:44 CST 2001

aldo wrote:

> Hello,
> I installed jabber-server in a Redhat 7 machine.
> I received the following message after starting the server.
>
> [alert] (s2s): we were told by update.jabber.org that our sending name
> localhost is invalid, either something went wrong on their end, we tried
>
> using that name improperly, or dns does not resolve to us.
>
> I can't detect my mistake. Can someone help me?
> Thank you
>
> aldo gentile

You need to change the line:

<host><jabberd:cmdline flag="h">localhost</jabberd:cmdline></host>

and replace 'localhost' with the domain name of your server. Or, you
could start jabberd like so: 'jabberd -h server.name.tld [-D]'

If you are behind a firewall and do not have a fully qualified domain
name, you can still use your domain name but you will receive some error
messages from update.jabber.org. Don't worry about them, jabberd will
run normally.

--
John Hebert
System Engineer