[jadmin] Which Jabber client for intranet?

Todd Bradley TBradley at jabber.com
Tue Mar 20 21:16:18 CST 2001

I'm really happy with Jabber Instant
Messenger (JIM).  From what I've seen,
it has WAY fewer bugs than any other
Windows client.

Regarding the ICQ stuff, I think the
behavior you're seeing is really a
server issue, not a client issue.
The text that goes into those boxes
you're seeing as blank actually comes
from the Jabber server in real time.
For better or worse, that's the way
the whole Jabber gateway system was
designed to work.  So, you should
probably look into your ICQ gateway
and Jabber server configurations.

Todd.
-----Original Message-----
From: kadokev at msg.net
To: jadmin at jabber.org
Cc: bugs at jabber.com
Sent: 3/20/01 12:03 PM
Subject: [jadmin] Which Jabber client for intranet?

Can anybody recommend a good (stable) Windows 95/98/2000/NT client which
offers
an easy means to pre-configure the client to connect to my intranet
jabber
server? Or a reliable Windows client with source code available?

We've been testing _all_ of the various MS-Windows clients, and so far
every
one has exhibited rather serious bugs. I am willing to report bugs to
each
client's developers as I find them, but perhaps we need a new Jabber.org
discussion forum (in addition to 'client development'), a forum for
feedback
from end users on the various clients, bugs, etc.

So far, only 'JabberIM' is anything close to being stable enough for me
suggest using it for anything resembling 'production'. The client works
great for normal chat and conferencing, but I could not use JabberIM to
register for ICQ- half the time in Preferences->Services->ICQ Transport,
the labels to the left of the fields come up as blank boxes.

Kevin Kadow
MSG.Net, Inc.