[jadmin] LDAP?

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Fri Mar 23 16:37:50 CST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 06:18:22PM +0100, Daniel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We have a company wide LDAP infrastructure.
> I would like to let the people set up their jabber account
> by auto filling the JUD entries by LDAP.

Unless I'm mistaken, the JUD is just a database of jabber users/ids.
An entry in here doesn't mean that an account is set up.

> Is this possible? (or is there a way to generate an LDAP
> query and setup a jabber account for each found
> user (from LDAP query)?

Well, sure. All the tools are their in their basic form: LDAP
query, Jabber protocol libraries, and so on. FWIW, I've written
a Jabber transport so that you can search LDAP servers using
the user search facilities in Jabber clients. Just point the config
at an LDAP server and away you go!

> I also found that adding jabber users to my client (WinJAB
> or JabberIM) is simple if I know the jabber ID.
> I have not found a way to *browse* the JUD. (Perhaps
> I should closely RTFM?) Searching is ok, at least
> with JabberIM.

Sure, iq:search fits the JUD very well. Sticking my neck out,
I'd say that as the JUD is pretty flat (i.e. no hierarchy to
speak of, except ...

toplevel

  +-- user

  +-- user

  +-- ...

... I'm not sure what browsing would bring, apart from a big iq
response ;-)

Unless of course hierarchy levels could be artificially brought
to life on the fly according to certain attributes of the JUD
entries...

That said, browsing an _LDAP_ hierarchy is useful. See

http://www.pipetree.com/~dj/ldap1.jpg
http://www.pipetree.com/~dj/ldap2.jpg
http://www.pipetree.com/~dj/ldap3.jpg

as an example of the results of an 'LDAP reflector' transport that
reflects an LDAP hierarchy as a browse hierarchy.

dj