[jadmin] Maximum concurrent users on one jabberd

dave_parkes at uk.ibm.com dave_parkes at uk.ibm.com
Mon Mar 26 03:52:27 CST 2001

From: Dave Parkes at IBMGB on 26/03/2001 10:52 AM

To:   Jadmin at jabber.org
cc:
Subject:  Maximum concurrent users on one jabberd

Greetings,
     we have hit an apparent limit of 1024 concurrent users on our single
jabberd configuration. We are running a linux 2.4 kernel and have increased
ulimit -n to 8192. Before we increased the ulimit we had a disaster,
jabberd reported a load of file errors and xdb trashed a few user.xml files
and it decimated our simple jud global.xml file!  Since we increased the
ulimit we no longer get file errors, we get up to 1025 open file
descriptors for the jabberd process and the process seems to force users
off at that point.
     Is there a hard limit of 1024 concurrent users somewhere? I can't find
any likely candidates using grep -r 1024 on the jabberd source.

 Regards

        Dave