[jadmin] AIM transports

Gleef gleef at ybten.net
Mon Mar 26 06:56:46 CST 2001

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 11:55:04AM -0600, Thomas Muldowney wrote:
> Sorry I've been out of it guys.  I've been kept busy =) As many of
> you will notice, we're now up to 0.9.10.  It is currently working,
> and doing good on aim.jabber.org when they don't block our IP.  I
> have some larger changes I will begin to make if things start to get
> ugly.  For now though, 0.9.10 is the boss.

Looks like things are getting ugly.  Neither 0.9.10 nor 0.9.11 are
working for me.  Same symptoms (connects, waits a second and
disconnects from AIM-T).  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if
they have someone directly tracking your changes :-(.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to get you better info on
what's going on from my server's point of view.  I'm currently running
jabberd with the -D option, and the error.log entries are identical to
the last time I reported on this.

In a seperate message, Thomas Muldowney wrote:
> A note to the others.  If you want to check if you have an IP block
> perform this in the shell from your aim-t server:
>
> telnet login.oscar.aol.com 5190

Checked: my IP address gets through fine.

Just an observation: I don't think they can block *all* jabber IP
addresses, because with dynamic DNS, jabberd can run on DHCP addresses
amidst people using the official client.  Therefore, the closer AIM-T
can mimic the behavior of the current version of their official
client, the harder it will be for them to break AIM-T connections
without breaking their own client's connections.

-Gleef