[jadmin] LDAP?

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Mon Mar 26 11:59:45 CST 2001

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 11:17:42PM +0100, Daniel wrote:
> > Unless I'm mistaken, the JUD is just a database of jabber users/ids.
> > An entry in here doesn't mean that an account is set up.
>
> Got it. Hmm.. but it would be possible to generate accounts only
> together with a JUD entry? Could that be forced?

Yes, in that you could do the appropriate iq:register jiggery pokery
at the same time as programatically creating the acount.

> > Well, sure. All the tools are their in their basic form: LDAP
> > query, Jabber protocol libraries, and so on. FWIW, I've written
> > a Jabber transport so that you can search LDAP servers using
> > the user search facilities in Jabber clients. Just point the config
> > at an LDAP server and away you go!
>
> I have not found that transport. Is it available already?
> I would be very interested.

It's not anywhere public, it's just something I've been experimenting
with. I could stick it on the projects page if you like...

> > ... I'm not sure what browsing would bring, apart from a big iq
> > response ;-)
>
> Or.. is there any way to configure the server (or client) to allow
> searches in the JUD with regular expressions?

Well, I know that the users-agent (Ryan's Perl based JUD) uses MySQL
so for example you could easily query that, or possibly modify it so you
could send regexen in the iq:search (thinking aloud...)

dj