[jadmin] Jabber FreeBSD, SSL, etc.

Chris Pile cpile at snoogans.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 06:13:55 CST 2002

I've not actually tried the jabber code from the FreeBSD ports
collection, I prefer to download the code from the site or CVS.  I've
installed all my jabber related stuff in "/usr/local/jabber" and chown'd
it by my jabber user.  I run jabber using: "su jabber -c
'/usr/local/jabber/jabberd/jabberd -B'" via a stop/start script under
"/usr/local/etc/rc.d/".

I'm running msn-transport-1.2 and jabber-1.4.2 (both from the CVS).
jabber-1.4.2 works fine with SSL+FreeBSD as far as I can tell (I've been
running it for a month or two).  You do need to compile with gmake
though.

It may be worth starting up a server with no transports, then adding one
at a time.

Have you definitely got the client SSL libraries (winjab/jim)?  Also the
following command maybe useful when debugging SSL connections:

openssl s_client -connect localhost:5223 -debug -state

See if there is anything obvious in the output.  It should at least
indicate if your SSL cert is accepted.

Thanks,
Chris.