[jadmin] Moving form .1 to .2 and also a new system

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Tue Feb 19 16:16:15 CST 2002

peter.royal at pobox.com wrote:
----------------->>>>
On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:31:03PM -0800, Patrick Nelson wrote:
> 3.  Modify the DNS A entry to point to the new server
> 4.  Send a message of "Shutting Down" to all users
> 5.  Shut down jabber 1.4.1 on the old server.
> 6.  Start Jabber 1.4.2 on the new server.
> 7.  Everyone logs in again not noticing what happened
> 8.  There is peace and tranquility in the universe
>
> Is that good plan?  Am I forgetting something?  Will it work?

If you are doing this during the day, you will probably need to force
client machines to forget the old server IP address. I know Windows
clients cache DNS settings for a little while at least. ipconfig
/flushdns clears the cache.
----------------->>>>

Hmm good point...  Yes we will do it after working hours.  Now here is the
revised plan.

Wait until after working hours and then:
1.  On the new system install 1.4.2
2.  Copy over the spool directory
3.  Modify the DNS A entry to point to the new server
4.  Send a message of "Shutting Down" to all users
5.  Shut down jabber 1.4.1 on the old server.
6.  Start Jabber 1.4.2 on the new server.
7.  Everyone logs in tomorrow not noticing what happened

Now what do you think, a good plan?  Any other suggestions before I attempt
this?