[jadmin] Newbie Question: Short Server Names?

Joseph Bravate Joe.Bravate at morganstanley.com
Thu Feb 21 15:30:13 CST 2002

Abe,

You do not need to use a FQHN to run or access jabber. As long as the hostname that
you select could be resolved on all of your client's desktops then you are golden.

For example  to run a Jabber server on a machine called "ace" do the following:
1) Configure jabber.xml so that jabber has the hostname "ace"
2) When running jabber, invoke it locally on the box "ace" with the option "-h ace".
3) Have users specify their server as "ace" in the client.

Their jids will be of the form user at ace.

That is all.
Joe.