[jadmin] Jabber 1.4.2

Szymanek, Greg GSzymanek at columbiaforestproducts.com
Tue Feb 26 13:21:47 CST 2002

	Group,
	I am a newbee to jabber, so don't laugh to hard when you read this.
I attached my jabber.xml file

	Environment:

	Server: Red Hat 7.1 (2.4.3 kernel), jabber 1.4.2
	Client: WIN_NT (JIM 1.10.0.6)  (jabberCOM 2.4.1.19)

	Firewall: yes, tcp port 5222 blocked

	Error Description: I have installed a jabber server 1.4.2, which
installed correctly. I have installed JIM client on a WIN_NT box and it
installed correctly. I'm sure the problem is within the jabber.xml file. I
have installed JUD and configured the jabber.xml file accordingly. The
problem is the connection fails, both on the server and the client.
This server is part of a local small workgroup (within the same subnet). We
can connect to the jabber server with our user credentials, however we
cannot do anything more than that.

	Questions:

	1. why is the server wanting to connect to update.jabber.com? I have
commented out the line that reads:

			 <update><jabberd:cmdline
flag="h">localhost</jabbered:cmdline></update>

	2. Is there any reason that the jabber program needs access to
update.jabber.com or any other jabber resource?

	Server error message: Attempting to connect to update.jabber.com.
bouncing a packet to 959967024 at update.jabber.com. Server connect failed
(error code 502)

	Client error message: The server could not located the service you
requested. It is possible that the service is not currently running (Error
Code 502)

	error.log file: 20020226T15:39:06: [notice] (users.jabber.org)
failed to established connection

	command statup : ./jabberd/jabberd -D -h 132.147.176.33

 <<jabber.xml>>
	Thanks for any help or direction................

	G.Szymanek
	Advanced System Development
	Columbia Forest Products / TAIS
	704.292.2873 Office