[jadmin] pid problems....

Matthias Wimmer jabber at matthias-wimmer.de
Tue Feb 26 16:47:05 CST 2002

Hi!

Cory Street schrieb am 2002-02-26 14:16:07:
> For some reason, I cannot kill the pid for jabber.  The actual daemon has
> stopped, but the pid still exists.  Even after I manually remove
> jabber.pid, it still shows up in ps aux.  Any ideas on how to shut down the
> jabber server and get rid of the pid?

Could be that it is a zombi process. (Marked by Z in the process list.)
This means that the process is not running anymore but its state is kept
for the parent process to be notified of the exit code and things like that.
If the parent process doesn't check for that (by the wait() function)
the process will not be removed from the list. To remove the process
data you can remove the parent process ...

Tot kijk
   Matthias
--
Fon: +49-(0)70 0770 07770               http://matthias-wimmer.de/