[jadmin] Jabberd2-s9 Session Manager Memory Leak

Russ Schnapp russjadmin at schnapp.org
Sun Aug 7 00:28:36 CDT 2005

Billy Gray wrote:
> Rafal,
>
> A nice fellow named "Lemming" posted a patch recently for session
> manager, to lower it's memory consumption.  The patch should be over
> in bugzilla by now.
>
> If you search back in the archives just a couple of weeks on this
> list, you'll find Lemming's patch and associated discussion.
>
> Does anybody have a copy of that discussion/patch for Rafal?

That patch was not about a leak.  It was about reducing the memory per
session by dynamically allocating space for jids.

I don't think anyone has indicated that they have encountered a true leak.

Are you sure there actually *IS* a leak?  In other words, if you cycle
between 100 and 700 users several times, does the peak memory usage
continue to increase?

In other words, if you see something like this:

100 users  20 meg
700 users  140 meg
100 users  140 meg
700 users  140 meg
100 users  140 meg
700 users  140 meg

...there's no leak.  It's just not releasing unused memory.

A leak is if you see this:

100 users  20 meg
700 users  140 meg
100 users  140 meg