[jadmin] Re: sm goes crazy on memory

Stephen Marquard scm at marquard.net
Wed Aug 17 11:42:25 CDT 2005

Lauro, John wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been running jabberd2 fine for a month or two (light load) with
> s8.  Just a hair heavier load after going to s9 (from s8) a couple
> weeks ago, but still never more than a dozen connected users.  3 times
> in the last 3 days the server froze.  The last time I upped the memory
> from 256mb to 512mb, and the box wasn't even up 10 minutes and managed
> to capture a top prior to having to reboot out of frustration of
> trying to put in any commands...  I increased the RAM to 1.5GB, so
> we'll see how that works, but it was working fine with 256mb.  sm has
> already grown to 1.2gb and growing.
>
> Running 4 transports plus MUC and mysql with ldap auth.  I just killed
> yahoo and the 3 python transports....  and sm memory use still
> growing...
>
> Help, how do I debug?

Probably there is something weird going on, like one of your users has an
extremely large queue of offline messages. Have a look in the database to see if
anything unusual is happening.

If you can't see anything there, run sm in debug mode (sm -D after building with
--enable-debug) and see what it's doing.

Regards
Stephen