[jadmin] Re: jabberd 2.0s9 and avatar publish/retrieve support?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Aug 17 15:37:21 CDT 2005

Alistair John Strachan wrote:

> However, now I have discovered that avatars do not seem to be saved
> server-side with jabberd2, whereas they work on jabber.org (which is running
> 1.4 CVS).

The avatars you're seeing from jabber.org users are probably just being
saved in people's vCards, following the protocol documented in JEP-0153:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0153.html

> Has anybody managed to get this working, and if so, how? I've read
> about idavoll, but I've not idea how to set it up (what is pubsub?).

Publish-subscribe is defined in JEP-0060:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0060.html

Idavoll is an implementation of JEP-0060 that runs as an add-on component:

http://idavoll.jabberstudio.org/

A pubsub-based protocol for avatars is under development but it's not
finished yet and not deployed anywhere AFAIK:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0084.html

Hope that helps,

Jabber Software Foundation