[jadmin] Google Talk federation policy proposal

Paul Curtis pfc at terrapin.com
Fri Aug 26 08:30:07 CDT 2005

Tomasz Sterna wrote:

> As of version 1.3 of JEP-0077 the redirection to web registration is documented.
>
> This way a provider can support any registration confirmation it
> wishes. Visual tokens, SMS, billing data, etc. - web is flexible. :-)

As Google has the infrastructure in place to accomplish web
registration, it is more likely that the JEP 77 mechanism would be
preferrable over in-band registration. In addition, for those clients
that do not support JEP 77, the presentation of the error message ("Web
Registration Required" or similar) would be the most obvious.

Remember: There is no requirement that Google federate their servers.
There is nothing that says they must do this. The community must make it
attractive for them to do it, rather than mandating it. The community
has a large opportunity to create good will as well as gain a
significant boost in XMPP usage.

Also keep in mind that while the community would like to see many of the
JEPs implemented by Google, there is no requirement to do so. Google
will make prudent business decisions on which JEPs to implement as they
see fit. They can pick and choose if they desire. We as a community
cannot afford to offend Google if they choose to NOT implement a JEP.

If Google implements XMPP on a large scale, then the long awaited
validation for XMPP and Jabber will have occurred. A golden opportunity
is presented to us ... please do not let the community lose this
opportunity because we (as the community) don't agree with how Google
implements THEIR XMPP system. Google is a business, and their decisions
will be driven from that perspective. We as a community can help Google
understand the positive business reasons for federating servers.

Paul