[jadmin] Google Talk federation policy proposal

Jakob Schroeter js at camaya.net
Fri Aug 26 11:11:17 CDT 2005

On Friday August 26 2005 17:58, Florian Jensen wrote:
> Isn't this all getting to complex? I mean Jabber used to be a free
> Platform. And anyway. It is not our Problem if Google Talk gets Spammed.
> The Jabber Network is running since 6 years without any of these problems.
> So now a big Company joins in and we have to change everything? Probably
> their Servers are equiped with something to protect them from that.
> Google never said that Spam would be the reason why they didn't open S2S
> connections. Maybe it is just because they haven't finished their component
> yet.
> So just wait until Google makes the first move.

It seems to me SPIM has not been a real problem for Jabber so far because our
userbase is simply too small. With an IM system with lots of users joining us
this could change rapidly.
Waiting for Google to make the first move would be wrong, IMHO. The JSF should
be the only authority to define XMPP/Jabber related standards, which IMO
includes definition of antispim measures.

cheers,
Jakob