[jadmin] Google Talk federation policy proposal

Jakob Schroeter js at camaya.net
Fri Aug 26 11:50:56 CDT 2005

On Friday August 26 2005 18:26, Steve Kennedy wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 06:11:17PM +0200, Jakob Schroeter wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > Waiting for Google to make the first move would be wrong, IMHO. The JSF
> > should be the only authority to define XMPP/Jabber related standards,
> > which IMO includes definition of antispim measures.
>
> Why, Google can do what they like - it's their servers and community
> they have to worry about. Currently the service is free - but who says
> it will be in the future? Or it may carry Google advertising based on
> the IM's sent, that's their business so to speak.

Sure, they can do what they like. And with respect to their own network that
is all fine. But it wouldn't help Jabber if they defined another proprietary
senderID-like protocol and only accepted connections from compliant servers.
But that's all speculation it seems.

All I wanted to say was that we should start thinking about antispim - and
this thread does this - *before* Google presents accomplished facts, and
maybe get them into the boat and participate in the development of a useful
and widely accepted standard.

cheers,
Jakob