[jadmin] Logged in user

b h bobhumphrey22 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 14:21:09 CDT 2005

--- Samuel Penn <sam at glendale.org.uk> wrote:

> On Friday 26 August 2005 19:10, b h wrote:
> > still, you didn't give much detail about your
> server
> > version..
> Well, I wasn't looking for a bug fix, but a feature,
> and
> I didn't expect it to be something that changes
> between
> minor revisions.

> Since the original phrasing has obviously caused
> confusion, I'll
> try and be clearer:
> First, the background:
> I have a Jabber2 server (jabberd-2.0s2) running on
> OpenBSD 3.6,

yes, but I had all sorts of really weird stuff
happening back then on my installation too.  Trust me,
my users were going to abandon my server because of
issues like you describe.  I didn't consider jabberd2
stable until very recently.

(and there have been many many security updates, some
quite major to be actually backported to other openbsd
releases, since jabberd2s2...)

** note ** two (2) major openbsd security advisories
on the jabberd2 package on 3.6....
http://www.openbsd.org/pkg-stable36.html  they have
backported jabberd2s9 to 3.6 because of these
problems.  I'd suggest installing it first and it
might correct some misbehaviour.  package available

> which is using MySQL as a backend. I'm running some
> tests with
> sendxmpp to send out automated messages, but my GUI
> Jabber clients
> (Kopete and Gaim) aren't updating the state of these
> automated
> users as I'd expect[1], so I'd like to see what the
> server thinks
> is happening without using XMPP.
> The question is:
> Is there a way to query the server directly for what
> it thinks the
> state (logged on/off) of all users currently is
> (either through SQL,
> or some command line tool), and is it possible to
> modify this
> state in the same way (i.e., force a user to be
> offline)?
> I'm expecting the online/offline state to be held in
> one of the
> MySQL tables, but can't find anything which looks
> promising.

Unfortunatley I don't think so, but someone might
correct me.

> [1] I have one user who is permanently logged in,
> and the others
>     don't show up as logged in whilst sendxmpp is
> running. There
>     are other issues as well, but I'm currently
> trying to figure
>     out what is going wrong, and under what
> circumstances, before
>     seeking a solution, since the clients, server
> logs and client
>     debug are all disagreeing about what is
> happening.

so, please upgrade, but still not really a solution to
your goal,