[jadmin] Re: Logged in user

Stephen Marquard scm at marquard.net
Fri Aug 26 14:31:55 CDT 2005

Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 19:10, b h wrote:
>
>>still, you didn't give much detail about your server
>>version..
>
> Well, I wasn't looking for a bug fix, but a feature, and
> I didn't expect it to be something that changes between
> minor revisions.
>
> Since the original phrasing has obviously caused confusion, I'll
> try and be clearer:
>
> First, the background:
> I have a Jabber2 server (jabberd-2.0s2) running on OpenBSD 3.6,

That's such an old version that all bets are off. The behaviour you describe is
a known bug fixed around s3 or s4 I think. Update to 2.0s9, or if you're
building from source you can use the latest 2.0 cvs snapshot,
http://files.jabberstudio.org/jabberd2/jabberd-2.0cvs20050825.tar.gz

> which is using MySQL as a backend. I'm running some tests with
> sendxmpp to send out automated messages, but my GUI Jabber clients
> (Kopete and Gaim) aren't updating the state of these automated
> users as I'd expect[1], so I'd like to see what the server thinks
> is happening without using XMPP.
>
> The question is:
> Is there a way to query the server directly for what it thinks the
> state (logged on/off) of all users currently is (either through SQL,
> or some command line tool),

Through XMPP, yes. As a user with appropriate rights defined in sm.xml, you can
get a list of active sessions from the server. Some clients make this easy to
do, e.g. in Pandion, Tools | Server Administration | View all online users.

> and is it possible to modify this
> state in the same way (i.e., force a user to be offline)?

There's no way to terminate a user session administratively. But what you're
seeing is probably a missed unavailable presence update from a client
disconnection somewhere along the line, which later versions will fix.

Regards
Stephen