[jadmin] Re: Google Talk federation policy proposal

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Fri Aug 26 20:34:53 CDT 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:23, Florian Jensen wrote:
> Well, same with eMail. But Blacklist don't bring alot. I am sure Fabio the
> moment you put up a Blacklist network you will be able to override it will
> come out. Best example: DynDNS. Just change your domain! It is free!

Not really.  Last time I checked, domains still cost money.  They're fairly
cheap, sure... but not free.  Block 1,000 of some idiot's domains, and it
will cost him at least $5,000 (as well as making those domains useless for
spam.)

> Ok ... maybe IP blocking? No, most hackers don't have a static IP and just
> reset their Router / Modem. Not to mention Proxies. There are million ways
> to override blacklists.

Zombie machines are my favourite way.  But they'd have to assign their domain
to that IP still, which would still cost them money every time a new one gets
blocked.

> They will surely already have a protection in development. And maybe they
> will make it publically available soon.
> Google can't permit themselves to bring an unsecure System on the market!
> They have too much to use and developping such an extension doesn't cost
> much for them.

That was always my theory too.

SMTP is an open system, but you don't seem them forcing other people who run
SMTP servers to go through some complicated registration process... they just
filter out the spam!

ICQ spam (the only kind of SPIM I've ever seen in my entire life) has a very
distinctive form to it.  It comes from someone not on your contact list who
doesn't ask for your permission to be added (very distinctive already... most
real users add me, even if they're only asking a single question.)  It
generally has 2-3 sentences of text, stacked full of marketing words which
would be spotted by a spam filter from five years ago.  And it has a URL.

Put all this stuff into a Bayesian filter, and I bet you can filter SPIM, at
least until the spimmers start doing what they did with email, where the
really good spammers write short messages which look like normal personal
email.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>