[jadmin] Re: Google Talk federation policy proposal

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at polito.it
Sat Aug 27 05:04:55 CDT 2005

Florian Jensen wrote:
> Well, same with eMail. But Blacklist don't bring alot. I am sure Fabio the
> moment you put up a Blacklist network you will be able to override it will
> come out. Best example: DynDNS. Just change your domain! It is free! Ok ...

But it requires time for registering and in case of intolerable abuses
entire domains can be banned. I do not mean defeat all spam, I think
it's impossible, but if blacklists are quickly distributed and updated
spammers sending tons of unsolicited messages can have a hard life. It's
just a question of economy: you don't send spam if it cost you too much
in term of maney or work (that is money) if the benefit is too small ;)

> maybe IP blocking? No, most hackers don't have a static IP and just reset
> their Router / Modem. Not to mention Proxies. There are million ways to
> override blacklists.

If fact with IPv6 it will get even worse :/ There the only effective
method should be banning entire subnets

> The great thing about Jabber is that there is NO real supervising power.
> Everyone is free to do what he wants! If Google uses such a standard they
> will make sure that something like this will not happen on their Servers.
> Even internally!
> They will surely already have a protection in development. And maybe they will
> make it publically available soon.
> Google can't permit themselves to bring an unsecure System on the market! They
> have too much to use and developping such an extension doesn't cost much for
> them.

I forsee a problem. Such solution sounds like a version of Spam
Assassin for IM. But IM needs instantaneity and bayesian filters can
introduce load and delays in queues. Mail systems can afford such
delays, IM can't.

Fabio Forno, PhD
Istituto Superiore Mario Boella
Jabber ID: xmpp:ff at kamin.polito.it