[jadmin] Re: Google Talk federation policy proposal

Steve Kennedy steve-jabber at gbnet.net
Sat Aug 27 05:34:57 CDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 12:05:04PM +0200, Fabio Forno wrote:

> > Thoughts:
> > * over XMPP.
> > * over XMPP with a limited set of servers elected every year (like DNS).
> Yep, a special purpose component on each server can to the job of
> distributing a verifiying black lists. This can be done also without the
> whole agreement of the community and without any protocol extension.
> All you need to do is to install a component handling blacklists and a
> modified S2S component that checks them

Generally blacklists are a bad idea.

In SMTP terms there are good blacklists and bad blacklists, not everyone
trusts remote blacklists (for good reason).

There have been instances of ISPs being blacklisted as one of their
customers has been flagged and the ISPs mail server is the machine that
sent the mail out, the remote blacklister had a policy of not removing
entries for quite a while?

Remote blacklists have been sued.

Who would maintain the list of blacklists? I'm sure the JSF wouldn't
want to get involved in a political/legal nightmare. On the SMTP front
RBLs are run indivually so to speak and there's just too many problems
with them.

It's much better to have authenticated users who you can cut off for
abuse (as in authenticated SMTP) but that's not there eveywhere yet.

Also measures for authenticating the domains that generate mail is
getting some tractiom such as Yahoo's Domain Keys, SPF and now CSV.
These are SMTP centric though.

SPAM filtering can work (or in this case SPIM), but for a busy server
that's a lot of filtering and a lot of resources. It can be done, but
there would need to be an efficient way to do it. Would there be central
SPIM signatures etc?

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  Fax +44-(0)20 7483 2455
Skype / In  stevekennedyuk / UK +442088167166 / US +13106518226