[jadmin] Presence via HTTP-Polling

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Sun Aug 28 07:15:52 CDT 2005

Mickaël Rémond wrote:
> I have been developing a simple piece of code for ejabberd to get the
> status information as an image. You just have to include the image url
> that include the user name in your HTML, and the correct status is
> retrieved and displayed.
I'm interested too, recently switched to ejabberd.

> The code has been working on metafrog.erlang-projects.org for more than
> a year now.
>
> I can send you the information if you wish.
> When I have a little time, I will try to integrate this feature in
> ejabberd code.
Alas this is not a long term solution because it only solves a (small)
part of the problem.

IMO we need something in the Jabber protocol that people can use to
specify if they want to make their presence information publicly
available. If they have done that other servers (or clients) can request
their presence without being on the roster of this user. This way a web
application can decide for itself how to present this presence
information on the web.

Using a bot for presence information does work but doesn't scale and
it's a centralized service which isn't really in the spirit of Jabber.

Bart