[jadmin] Jabberd2: Client libraries not found error

Steven B. Park parkzplatz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:14:57 CDT 2005

OKay, why -- oh god, why?! (okay, it's not really that dramatic) -- is
Jabberd2 unable to find the client libraries of the MAX binary for OS
X? From what I can tell, the preferred default install for MySQL is
/usr/local/mysql on unix-ish systems. I imagine that also stands true
for the client libraries, right? Is there a reason why y'all deviate
to /usr? That irrelevantly aside...

The symlinks in the documentation link to a non-existent directory. Eg.
=====
      ln -s /usr/local/include/mysql/ /usr/include/mysql
      ln -s /usr/local/lib/mysql/ /usr/lib/mysql
=====
>From what I can tell, the goal is finding the mysql.h file in the
includes directory and whatever is inside the lib directory. So I
tweaked the symlinks (messy surgery)...
=====
      ln -s /usr/local/mysql/include/ /usr/include/mysql
      ln -s /usr/local/mysql/lib /usr/lib/mysql
=====
And presto! It KINDA works, but fails...

Here's the error:
=====
checking mysql.h usability... no
checking mysql.h presence... no
checking for mysql.h... no
checking for mysql.h in /usr/include/mysql... yes
checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient... no
configure: error: MySQL cleint libraries not found
%>
=====
I've read the documentation and I don't want to build from source
manually into /usr -- so how can i resolve this issue? Any help would
be GREATLY appreciated, as I'd like to be able to use Jabberd2 at
work.