[jadmin] Which server? jabberd 2.0, ejabberd, or Jive?

KWermann at misti.com KWermann at misti.com
Mon Oct 10 08:52:20 CDT 2005

Hi Paolo,

I think the implementation you are looking to use should fit your
particular need. For instance, we used JabberD 1.4x for 3 years running on
Linux. It worked great and was stable. However, we are a small IT shop and
don't have alot of time to tinker with JabberD and the extensions needed
for it to do what we need (conversation logging, user management, etc.).
We don't use eJabberD because we don't need to scale for thousands of
users. We recently looked at JabberD 2 and Jive Messenger and decided to
use Jive, here's why:

1 - We are a small shop. We don't have alot of time to mess with another
dedicated Linux box (as much as we love it and regardless of the many
arguments against my claim, Linux does take more admin and any intern can
feel comfortable on Windows server).

2 - Jive provides a built-in web based administration console. JabberD
doesn't have this out of the box.

3 - Jive gives us the option to move to Linux or Windows out of the box.
We don't need to install anything like Cygwin on Windows and deal with the
problems that so often exist in that confiuration.

4 - Jive provides built in logging functions easily accessible from the
admin interface.

5 - With Jive I didn't need to separately install or modify Apache or IIS
to get the web interface going. Built-in goodness.

6 - MUC is built in and does not require a MUC component be added to the
server.

7 - Support from the Jive Messenger guys is pretty quick and people are
very friendly over there.

8 - For small installs, the application comes with the ability to use an
HSQL database (similar to that used in OpenOffice?) to store user info.
Besides having the ability to store users in XML, MySQL, or PostgreSQL.

Now, for the cons:

- Many components for JabberD do not quite integrate easily yet with Jive.

- SSL setup (using self-signed SSL certificates) on Jive is a freaking
nightmare. It seems like just about everyone that has tried it has had
problems and there are tons of posts on the Jive message boards about
this. It works, but took forever to figure out after searching and posting
to the message boards for a few days. That said, I know the guys over
there are aware of this and are working to make this alot easier.

- Because of the SSL implementation of some Jabber Clients (Mozilla vs NSS
libraries), not all clients will work with Jive (GAIM on Windows, Exodus),
but many others do such as Pandion, GAIM on Linux, and JAJC. It depends on
the SSL libraries used when the client is compiled. That is why Gaim works
on Linux but not Windows. So know what client you would like to use. In my
environment we run MACs, Windows, and Linux but do not use a single client
across all platforms such as GAIM. Instead we run Adium on Mac, Pandion on
Windows, and GAIM on Linux.

NOTE: This SSL client issue may have been recently fixed, please check the
Jive message boards for more on this.

Hope that helps,

Ken Wermann

jadmin-bounces at jabber.org wrote on 10/09/2005 02:29:00 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to decide which server would be the most suitable to run my
IM