[jadmin] Scalability - Commercial solution the only way (?)

Paolo Perazzo paolo_perazzo at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:48:11 CDT 2005

Thanks all for the interesting debate on the server options. I thought it
would have been good to create a new thread for this topic even if kinda
related to the previous. Reading around, my understanding is that if you
wanna have a very scalable solution, MSN, Yahoo, AIM like to support
millions of users, the only solution today is going through a commercial
solution. Ejabberd seems to be the closest open source solution, but still
not ready for that probably (again, correct me if i'm wrong)

- Do you have any suggestion for commercial solutions that can scale that
much?

- Do you know btw what google talk is based on? They talk about jabber
server, but it might be a generic term

- Beside "Jabber Server Farming How-To",
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Jabber-Server-Farming-HOWTO.html, is
there any effort in the open source community to design a scalable solution,
in terms of software and hardware architecture. Is the effort big or it's
just a matter of replicating the servers on multiple machine, have some load
balancing and virtual server functionality in front of it (I know i'm
simplifying) or it's something more complicated? What are the pieces that
are missing today? I think this would be a very interesting task, from an
architectural and design perspective.

- Do we know how the big guys are implementing their scalable solutions?

thanks all,
Paolo