[jadmin] Scalability - Commercial solution the only way (?)

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Tue Oct 11 05:19:33 CDT 2005

On Di, oktober 11, 2005 01:48, Paolo Perazzo wrote:
> Thanks all for the interesting debate on the server options. I thought it
> would have been good to create a new thread for this topic even if kinda
> related to the previous. Reading around, my understanding is that if you
> wanna have a very scalable solution, MSN, Yahoo, AIM like to support
> millions of users, the only solution today is going through a commercial
> solution. Ejabberd seems to be the closest open source solution, but still
> not ready for that probably (again, correct me if i'm wrong)

Why do you think that?

Btw: Gizmo project is running ejabberd for its Jabber support.
(http://www.gizmoproject.com/

<snip>

> - Do you know btw what google talk is based on? They talk about jabber
> server, but it might be a generic term

They built their own server.

> - Beside "Jabber Server Farming How-To",
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Jabber-Server-Farming-HOWTO.html, is
> there any effort in the open source community to design a scalable
> solution,
> in terms of software and hardware architecture. Is the effort big or it's
> just a matter of replicating the servers on multiple machine, have some
> load
> balancing and virtual server functionality in front of it (I know i'm
> simplifying) or it's something more complicated? What are the pieces that
> are missing today? I think this would be a very interesting task, from an
> architectural and design perspective.

http://www.process-one.net/en/projects/ejabberd/docs/guide_en.html#htoc23
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/interconnect-erl-nodes

Load balancing can be done using SRV Records and/or you can use specific
hardware to do that.

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/