[jadmin] Scalability - Commercial solution the only way (?)

Paolo Perazzo paolo_perazzo at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 01:50:50 CDT 2005

>From: ahecox at uchicago.edu
>To: Jabber server administration list <jadmin at jabber.org>
>Subject: Re: [jadmin] Scalability - Commercial solution the only way (?)
>Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:21:12 -0500 (CDT)
>
>On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Paolo Perazzo wrote:
>
>>Thanks all for the interesting debate on the server options. I thought it
>>would have been good to create a new thread for this topic even if kinda
>>related to the previous. Reading around, my understanding is that if you
>>wanna have a very scalable solution, MSN, Yahoo, AIM like to support
>>millions of users, the only solution today is going through a commercial
>>solution. Ejabberd seems to be the closest open source solution, but still
>>not ready for that probably (again, correct me if i'm wrong)
>>
>>- Do you have any suggestion for commercial solutions that can scale that
>>much?
>>
>>- Do you know btw what google talk is based on? They talk about jabber
>>server, but it might be a generic term
>>
>>- Beside "Jabber Server Farming How-To",
>>http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Jabber-Server-Farming-HOWTO.html, is
>>there any effort in the open source community to design a scalable
>>solution, in terms of software and hardware architecture. Is the effort
>>big or it's just a matter of replicating the servers on multiple machine,
>>have some load balancing and virtual server functionality in front of it
>>(I know i'm simplifying) or it's something more complicated? What are the
>>pieces that are missing today? I think this would be a very interesting
>>task, from an architectural and design perspective.
>>
>>- Do we know how the big guys are implementing their scalable solutions?
>>

>How far do you need to scale? We're planning a jive deployment and tested
>to ensure scalability to 25k concurrent users with their software. A couple
>of JVM options and a 64 bit machine with plenty of memory and we were able
>to reach that goal with a relatively modest (< 10k) box.

I think this would be a very good starting point, and to be honest I don't
mind having multiple domains and use s2s communications if I wil have to
scale more. What are the JVM options you tweaked btw?

thanks for sharing this info, the numbers in the comparison chart
(http://www.jabber.org/admin/jsc/) were pretty limited for Jive

"about 100 concurrent users maximum online in internal deployment, maybe
more in environments we don't know of"

Best regards,
Paolo