[jadmin] s2s only vs scalable and clustered jabber network

Paolo Perazzo paolo_perazzo at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 19 03:37:39 CDT 2005

Hi,

i was wondering what are the difference of implementing a network of
multiple servers only talking to each other w/ s2s vs a truly scalable and
custered solution that for example project Pampero for Jive or ejabberd are
trying to achieve.

s2s only based solution
- Multiple domains (server1.com, server2.com, etc)
- Multiple databases
- No high-availabity (if one server fails, all the users connected to it
experience downtime until the server comes back up)

Truly scalable solution
- Single domain (sort of load balance module in front of the server farm)
- Single database
- High-availability (if one server fails, all the users connected are gonna
re-connect right away to another server, imited downtime)

Am I missing something else? What is the main disadvantage of multiple
databases vs one? I don't see a big deal there, but I don't wanna miss
something.

What are the main difference between Pampero vs ejabberd in terms of
architecture? Is it true that Pampero follow the same model of Google Talk
architecture?

Thanks!
Paolo