[jadmin] Virtual Hosting and External Authentication

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Wed Oct 19 22:33:21 CDT 2005

I have a dilemma, and I'm looking for ways others may have fixed this
problem, or perhaps just some ideas others may have.

The final goal is a system hosting both the cyrus-imap server and
jabberd14.  This system will support as many as three domains, and both
need to available for use by both jabber and cyrus.  They should have
different namespaces such that you can have duplicate names in each domain.

My first thought was to use the xdb_auth_cpile with imap authentication,
but it seems this only passes the username and not the domain.  To use
virtual hosting in cyrus, you must either do it by IP (with a separate
IP alias for each host) or by name (by appending @domain.com to the
username).  So is there a way to pass this information to xdb_auth_cpile
so it can support virtual hosting with the imap server for
authentication, or any other method it supports.  Or will I just have to
do virtual hosting by IP and run a separate instance of jabber on each IP?

Or, am I going about it all wrong?  Is there a better common ground to
support virtual hosting and single sign-on between cyrus and jabber?

Joel Ebel