[jadmin] How do you solve the problem of an intranet Jabber server being visible both from inside & outside?

KWermann at misti.com KWermann at misti.com
Thu Oct 20 08:34:41 CDT 2005

Hi John,

I see your problem. I am not sure of the resources within the company, but
perhaps you could setup an internal DNS server. Are the IP addresses
static or issued via DHCP by your router? Are you using a DHCP server such
as a Windows or Linux Server to assign IP addresses? And if you are, can
you reveal the version of the operating system (i.e. Windows 2003 Server,
Red Hat Linux vX, Fedora Core v.X, etc.).

If you are using the later, the DHCP server, I would add DNS services to
that server. If you are using Windows Server this is extremely easy. If
you are using Linux, its a little harder, but hey, you compiled Jabber so
I am sure you can manage DNS in Linux.

If you are using the router/firewall to provide IP's check the router
documentation to see if you can provide DNS services through the router.
Odds are you can't, but you never know. If not, I would move your DHCP and
DNS to a stand alone server. If money is an issue and you have an old box,
an install of linux without the GUI would run nicely.

If you are using static IP addresses, odds are that you are not using your
own DNS server.

If you have any questions about what I recommended, please ask.

Ken Wermann