[jadmin] How do you solve the problem of an intranet Jabber server being visible both from inside & outside?

John Talbot jtalbot at proionta.gr
Thu Oct 20 13:15:27 CDT 2005

All machines have static IPs, no DHCP.

It's the ADSL modem/router that acts as a DNS resolver to the company's
machines queries. It even resolves local names to local IPs as a
feature, as long as all the local machines share the same domain (which
at present is set to .localnet). I guess the simplest solution here is
to change this domain to .companyname.com and then I'm done.

I am also wondering how easy it will be to setup Jabber at other companies.

So in the worst (and quite common) case scenario, that a company uses
DHCP from a modem that doesn't also provide DNS services, the only
workaround at present would seem to be to setup a new DHCP & DNS server
on a cheap linux box.

Thanks for your reply.