[jadmin] STARTTLS on s2s links

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Sat Oct 22 04:27:35 CDT 2005

Hi!

Out of curriosity I started to log on amessage which s2s connections are
established using the STARTTLS stream feature and are therefore
encrypted. The result of about 20 hours is that there are at least the
following servers on the public Jabber network, that support STARTTLS on
s2s links:

168 0x1b.ch
256 amessage.*
256 austux.net
168 cmeerw.org
256 cyber-worker.info
256 dhbit.ca
256 ecotroph.net
256 elitesecurity.org
256 erdgeist.org
256 hueter-der-nacht.de
256 im.gentoo.org
256 jabber.adaxas.net
256 jabber.barnet.com.au
256 jabber.cc
256 jabber.ccc.de
256 jabber.datenbank.org
256 jabber.disk91.com
256 jabber.hu
256 jabber.illmeyer.com
256 jabber.org.au
256 jabber.or.kr
256 jab.ber.pl
256 jabberpl.org
256 jabber.roothell.de
256 jabber.scram.de
256 jabber.ssji.net
168 jabber.sucksass.de
256 jabber.zim.net.au
256 jabjab.de
256 jmsg.org
256 neosmt.com
168 rapidsolution.de
168 sbs.co.at
256 schalanda.name
256 selfnet.at
256 spaceboyz.net
256 swissjabber.*
256 syndicon.de
256 teuf.org
256 thebe.orbit.homelinux.net
256 thetofu.com
256 tlen.jabberpl.org
256 torma.org
256 uue.org
256 webkeks.6dns.org
256 whisperingvault.net

(The number at the start of the line are the number of secret bits used
for the symmetric cipher used on the established TLS link. - 168 bits
might be servers linked against openssl 0.9.6 which supports at most
3DES, while 256 seems to be newer versions of openssl supporting AES.)

Nice to see more servers than I expected, but still far to few servers
support encryption on server to server links.

Matthias

--
Fon: +49-700 7700 7770          http://matthias.wimmer.name/
Fax: +49-899 5 899 156          xmpp:mawis at amessage.info