[jadmin] s2s only vs scalabe and clustered network

maqi at jabberstudio.org maqi at jabberstudio.org
Thu Oct 27 10:48:25 CDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Paolo Perazzo wrote:

> i was wondering what are the difference of implementing a network of
> multiple servers only talking to each other w/ s2s vs a truly scalable and
> custered solution that for example project Pampero for Jive or ejabberd are
> trying to achieve.

Talking of "truly scalable" for a cluster system is a bit misleading I
think:

- if there were only clustering solutions and no s2s (say, there's only
  jabber.org running ejabberd or whatever, but without s2s), the system
  was not scalable at all in a sense: Nobody apart from the jabber.org
  admins is able to add new components to the system as all parts of the
  cluster need to be trusted.

- this isn't the case with the s2s architecture since servers don't have
  to trust each other concerning handling of internal data structures
  (user credentials...) then.

So s2s and clustering are simply solutions for different problems.

Regards