[jadmin] differentiated karma in jabber

Kirschner, Larry Larry.kirschner at mtvn.com
Thu Oct 27 19:26:08 CDT 2005

I'm using jabber 1.4.3 and I have a problem with it's karma mechanism.
What I need is a system where I can specify something like karma
settings, but also define a set of netmask IPs that would have unlimited
access? For example, there could be additional tags in the config that
would look like something this
<karmaExemptions>
<exempt netmask="192.168.255.255"/>
<exempt netmask="10.255.255.255"/>
<exempt netmask="166.77.255.255"/>
</karmaExemptions>
Is there any jabber server that supports something like this? To
complicate things a little, I need a server that can also support flash
clients (the NULL terminator character hack that's in jabber1.x).
CONTEXT FOR THIS:
I'm using jabber as the socket layer in a game engine. Flash game
clients, connect to jabber and join a game (MUC) room to receive game
events. Game state is primarily managed on an application server, which
broadcasts game events to the same MUC rooms that the game clients are
listening on.
The reason karma is a problem in this architecture is that the game
application server is sending lots and lots of messages to jabber,
spread out across the various game/MUC rooms. For this reason, I need
karma *NOT* to be applied to the application server. On the other hand,
I do want karma applied to game clients connecting over the Internet to
help prevent malicious or misbehaving clients from taking jabber down.
It seems like a good way to achieve this would be to distinguish the
game servers by their private, in-network IPs and specifically exempt
them from the karma system. If there's another approach that I could
apply to solve this problem that I'm not thinking of, please let me
know.
Thanks for your advice and help,
--Larry Kirschner