[jadmin] FreeBSD Ports and jabberd14 (WAS Jabberd and ICQ transport)

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Sun Sep 3 08:32:49 CDT 2006

Op zondag 3 september 2006 14:55, schreef Renato Botelho:
> On 9/2/06, Matthias Wimmer <m at tthias.eu> wrote:
> > Hi Renato!
> >
> > Renato Botelho schrieb:
> > > Great to hear it... =)
> > >
> > > If you can provide me the patch, I can save the port now, before new
> > > release comes.
> >
> > The essential change is the following:
>
> Patch applied on FreeBSD ports tree, port are safe to be removed now.
> Thanks!
>
> BTW, I updated FreeBSD port to 1.4.4 in the past and recieve a lot of
> messages of users saying that transports stopped to work correctly
> after update, so, i back it out to 1.4.3.1. Is there any different
> thing to do if use 1.4.4?

Yes, that's because the obsolete transports do not compile with the newer
versions of jabberd14. So, I think it's better to make the obsolete
transports not dependent on the jabberd14 port.

For mu-conference you should use JCR to compile it
( http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/mu-conference ). For the other transports I
suggest you to change the build process of the ports for these transports so
that it becomes like these tutorials:
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/install-obsolete-transports

PS: JIT is similar as the latter tutorial, but it's a bit more complicated
because it needs the xdb_file.so of WPJabber (included in the JIT package)
which is not compatible with that of jabberd 1.4.3 (that's why I renamed that
file to libjabberdxdbfile.so in the tutorial; the xdb_file.so of WPJabber can
be renamed to libwpjabberxdbfile.so).

The advantages of this work are:
* you can upgrade the jabberd14 port to newer versions
* the obsolete transports will also work with ejabberd, jabberd2, Wildfire
Server, and probably others.

Besides this work, you also can opt to just remove all those obsolete and
unmaintained transports, and replace them with ports for the Py*transports.

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/