[jadmin] FreeBSD Ports and jabberd14 (WAS Jabberd and ICQ transport)

Renato Botelho rbgarga at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 08:50:45 CDT 2006

On 9/3/06, Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze at pandora.be> wrote:
> Op zondag 3 september 2006 14:55, schreef Renato Botelho:
> > On 9/2/06, Matthias Wimmer <m at tthias.eu> wrote:
> > > Hi Renato!

> > > The essential change is the following:
> >
> > Patch applied on FreeBSD ports tree, port are safe to be removed now.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > BTW, I updated FreeBSD port to 1.4.4 in the past and recieve a lot of
> > messages of users saying that transports stopped to work correctly
> > after update, so, i back it out to 1.4.3.1. Is there any different
> > thing to do if use 1.4.4?
>
> Yes, that's because the obsolete transports do not compile with the newer
> versions of jabberd14. So, I think it's better to make the obsolete
> transports not dependent on the jabberd14 port.
>
> For mu-conference you should use JCR to compile it
> ( http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/mu-conference ). For the other transports I
> suggest you to change the build process of the ports for these transports so
> that it becomes like these tutorials:
> http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/install-obsolete-transports
>
> PS: JIT is similar as the latter tutorial, but it's a bit more complicated
> because it needs the xdb_file.so of WPJabber (included in the JIT package)
> which is not compatible with that of jabberd 1.4.3 (that's why I renamed that
> file to libjabberdxdbfile.so in the tutorial; the xdb_file.so of WPJabber can
> be renamed to libwpjabberxdbfile.so).
>
> The advantages of this work are:
> * you can upgrade the jabberd14 port to newer versions
> * the obsolete transports will also work with ejabberd, jabberd2, Wildfire
> Server, and probably others.
>
> Besides this work, you also can opt to just remove all those obsolete and
> unmaintained transports, and replace them with ports for the Py*transports.

We have today in ports pyicq, pymsn and pyaim, just aim old one was
not removed, but it's scheduled to 16 Sep. I'm waiting 0.4 version of
pyYIMt and pyIRCt, and so, i'll remove old yahoo transport too.

I'll take a look today on all ports that depend of jabber-1.4.x port
and see what i can do to deal with this.

I hope to see jabber updated to 1.4.4 soon.

Regards
--
Renato Botelho