[jadmin] Jabber Server list

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Feb 8 13:09:14 CST 2008

Jesse Thompson wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Jesse Thompson wrote:

>>> I think it would be useful to allow "closed" systems to register as
>>> well, perhaps under a different section.
>> For most end users, I think that would not be especially helpful. We are
>> have been reworking the site to mostly provide information that will
>> help new end users get started with Jabber. If we show them a list of IM
>> services that 90% of the users can't register with, they'll just get
>> confused. Or such has been the philosophy of the website team so far.
>
> Fair enough.  It would get a bit long to display all of them in a list.
>  The wizard approach would be better.

It would. But that'll probably be in a future iteration of the website.
Step one is to get the damn thing launched! Speaking of which, feel free
to bang on http://new.jabber.org/ and send bug reports to the webteam

>>> It would be useful for our
>>> users that don't realize that we provide them with a service that they
>>> are eligible to use.  It would be useful for administrators to find
>>> contact information for the administrators of the remote domain if there
>>> is an issue that needs troubleshooting.
>> Yes, *that* is useful, which is why I've been pushing the idea of an
>> XMPP Operators Group:
>>
>> https://stpeter.im/?p=2149
>
> Looks like a great idea!

Feel free to send feedback my way.

>>> Also, since you're collecting geolocation information, perhaps it would
>>> be useful to allow end-users to provide their own geolocation to help
>>> them find the nearest physical service.
>> I think that few end users know their own geolocation (lat/lon). See
>> above on keeping things simple simple simple.
>
> There has to be an API for that.  How about:
> http://search.cpan.org/~allenday/Geo-Google-0.05/lib/Geo/Google.pm
>
> If you're really clever, you could mark all of the XMPP servers on a
> Google map and let the users choose directly from there.

Yes we had that at xmpp.net and will do so again at jabber.org. It's a
fun feature, and much easier than trying to figure out your lat/lon.

https://stpeter.im/