[jdev] Re: type='available' in <presence/> stanza

Vinod Panicker vinod.p at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 03:09:13 CST 2006

On 3/29/06, Heiner Wolf <wolf at bluehands.de> wrote:
> > There are less violent ways.  For example, you can just disconnect
> > them from the server ;)
> I wonder what the problem is with type='available'. Is it just against
> the spec or is there a deeper reason why it is bad.
> After all, servers could be tolerant (remember: be tolerant in what you
> accept) and treat type='available' as no type attribute.
> So, what puts people in rage? Violation of the book or a practical
> reason? Just curious.

Maybe its just misunderstood humour :)  Email can't convey emotions very well.

Anyways, when a server that uses schema validation encounters such a
stanza, it will return an error to the client.  And frankly, I don't
think being tolerant to implementation issues will lead to a better
future for the protocol.