[Jingle] [Fwd: [google-talk-open] VNC over libjingle]

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 18:12:36 CDT 2008

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Of interest.

Indeed. Actually very similar in spirit to Telepathy's stream tubes.
It's on our todo list to draft a Jingle content XEP for this, also
including a mapping to XEP-0115 capabilities to re-use DNS-SD service
names describe what protocols are available from a given contact.

Also of relevance to running file transfers or other stream protocols
over datagram transports, we found a library recently called Enet
(http://enet.bespin.org/) which lets you send reliable or
reliable+ordered packet streams over a UDP connection which can be NAT
traversed reliably. I think libjingle's P2P stuff is pretty heavily tied
up with their XMPP implementation in lj 0.4 onwards, so Enet might be
cleaner for integration in existing clients.

The real problem is that even though either might work pretty well, it's
kinda awkward from a standards perspective to have just implementations
but no standard. We really need a reliability which is defined on paper
so that we can normatively reference it from a XEP. Rémi Denis-Courmont
at Nokia has been discussing the same kind of problem space on the IETF
BEHAVE WG. He's written a draft for something like TCP but intended for
use on top of UDP, but the problem there is the reverse - there didn't
seem to be a lot of concensus about it, and there are no implementations
currently. :(

Regards,
Rob