[Jingle] Call forking

Diana Cionoiu diana-liste at null.ro
Thu Oct 15 03:20:27 CDT 2009

Hello Peter,

>> Calling all endpoints and then sending a terminate message with a
>> "cancel" reason to the other endpoints seems like a reasonable approach.
>>

> Well this is basically what Google Talk does for messages, too, right?

For a message it's ok to fork it to several clients. For a session you
have to handle the situation when one endpoint answers the session.
The problem is that the cancel has to be sent by the client that made
the initial session request which has no idea that will receive more
than one answer.

>> Doing ICE in this situation may be very complicated though.
>>

> Not necessarily complicated, I think, just an awful lot of packets. :)

This approach ignores what's happening when a gateway from a different
protocol like SIP or H.323 has to do a lot of ICE requests for every
call it's making. The problem is the actual load of the gateway. This
will lead to a slower adoption of the Jingle protocol from the equipment
vendors.
> Peter
>
> - --
> Peter Saint-Andre