[Jingle] Negotiating a RTP profile in XEP-0167

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Oct 15 16:47:33 CDT 2009

On 10/15/09 3:17 PM, Justin Uberti wrote:
> Looking at section 6 of XEP-0167, it seems the use of RTP/AVP profile is
> implictly assumed:
>
> /For example, consider a payload of 16-bit linear-encoded stereo audio
> sampled at 16KHz associated with dynamic payload-type 96:/
>
> /<description xmlns='urn:xmpp:jingle:apps:rtp:1' media='audio'>
>   <payload-type id='96' name='speex' clockrate='16000'/>
> </description>
>   /
>
> /That Jingle-formatted information would be mapped to SDP as follows:/
>
> /m=audio 9999 RTP/AVP 96
> a=rtpmap:96 speex/16000/
>

>  So, how should one signal the use of a different profile, e.g.
> RTP/AVPF? Does a profile= attribute make sense here?

In earlier revisions of XEP-0167 we indeed had a 'profile' attribute.
Consider the following text from version 0.22, which is archived at
<http://xmpp.org/extensions/attic/xep-0167-0.22.html> ...

***

The <description/> element SHOULD possess a 'profile' attribute that
specifies the profile of RTP in use as would be encapsulated in SDP
(e.g., "RTP/AVP" or "UDP/TLS/RTP/SAVP"). If not included, the default
value of "RTP/AVP" MUST be assumed.

***

The 'profile' attribute was removed in version 0.23 (2008-07-31) as part
of the simplifications resulting from XMPP Summit #5:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/attic/xep-0167-0.23.html

See also:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jingle/2008-July/000109.html

One of the Jingle-related topics for that Summit was "getting rid of
weird SIP hang-overs in jingle like profiles". Perhaps Robert McQueen
can elaborate.

I have no deep objections to bring 'profile' back if we need it, and
defaulting it to "RTP/AVP" as we did in the past.

Peter

- --