[Jingle] Announcing Jingle support at Google

Peter Thatcher pthatcher at google.com
Thu Jun 23 01:57:03 UTC 2011

We are pleased to announce that we have launched support for Jingle
XEP-166 and XEP-167 for Google Talk calls to and from Gmail, iGoogle,
and Orkut.  We have also added the same level of support to libjingle
(http://code.google.com/p/libjingle), which is used by many native
clients.  From this point on, it will be our primary signalling
protocol, and the old protocol will only remain for backwards
compatibility.  We also plan to soon update Google Talk on Android to
speak Jingle, but we do not plan on updating the Google Talk Windows
application.

We suggest all clients that interop with Google Talk to switch to
using Jingle rather than the old protocol.  We will remain backwards
compatible with legacy clients by continuing to speak the old protocol
as well.  If you wish to continue working with legacy clients, such as
the Google Talk application for Windows, you may also wish to continue
speaking the old protocol.  But the future is Jingle, and the old
protocol will eventually go away.

Finally, we are still working on implementing XEP-176 (ICE-UDP).  In
the meantime, you'll need to use our draft-06 version of ICE, which is
implemented both in libjingle and in libnice, two open source
libraries.

I hope that this will be a support to the Jingle community and futher
our efforts to have open standards for voice and video communication.

- Peter Thatcher