[Juser] Multiple User Accounts

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:59:26 CDT 2005

On 7/1/05, Erik Stordahl <erik.stordahl at fedex.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if it is possible to have multiple accounts on the same
> computer.
> The reason I ask is because I would like to create an account that is
> registered to my work group such that we can use it to send broadcast
> messages to everyone in the office.
> That is, I want the message to go to "everyone" from "the quality
>  department".

Well you seem to be asking two different things here, so far as I understand.

Q: Can I login to multiple Jabber accounts at one time?
A: Yes, and you can login to the same account from two different places as well.

Q: Can I send a message to everyone in a group in my roster?
A: Yes.  This would be client-specific.  I imagine that many clients
offer this feature.  I can speak first-hand about Psi.  If you
right-click on the group name, you are given the option to "Send
message to group".  Check the docs of your favorite client to see if
it can do something simlar.

And somewhat related:
Q: Can I assign the same person to more than one group?
A: Yes, and again this is client-specific.  Psi, for example cannot do
this assignment (but it will honor it if done in another client).
Kopete, IIRC does let you do this.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc